Science Co-op For
Why UBC Science Co-op?
A co-op program utilizes an integrated approach to learning by combining university studies with relevant, full-time and paid working experiences in industry, business, government and public service.
UBC Science Co-op provides employers access to highly qualified and motivated undergraduate science students for 4, 8, 12 or 16 month work terms. The program provides human resources assistance by:
- Prescreening all students who enter the program to ensure they meet specific standards of personal and academic excellence
- Providing an advertising service which posts jobs to co-op students online
- Collecting and forwarding resumes, cover letters and transcripts of interested students to the employer
- Contacting and coordinating interviews with students
- Ensuring employer satisfaction after the hiring process by conducting a site visit during the work term
How Can Co-op Benefit You?
Co-op students provide great value.
- On average, co-op students' wages are less than regular employees'
- Employers don't pay administrative fees to hire through our program
- Potential savings are made from future recruiting costs
- Additional sources of funding are available to organizations who hire co-ops
Broad Talent Pool
You have access to qualified students in over 20 different academic program areas.
New Perspectives and Energy
Co-op students bring fresh ideas, energy and the latest technical knowledge to your organization.
Ready to Work
Co-op students complete a pre-employment curriculum that guides them through workplace etiquette and job readiness skills.
Free up Staff
This is an excellent opportunity to fulfill your short-term staffing needs to allow full-time staff to work on new projects and expand their leadership skills.
You can access students year-round for work terms starting in January, May, or September. Other options may be available to suit your particular needs.
Future Hiring Potential
Hiring a co-op student is the perfect opportunity for you to ‘road test’ potential future employees and gain early access to the best and brightest.
Our team is committed to the highest levels of service, focusing on prompt and personalized contact.
Being a Mentor
Many of our past employers have felt that hiring a co-op student has instilled a sense of fulfillment within their organization because they were able to help a student discover his/her career path.