Hiring a Student
Step 1: Post a Job
Complete this online form--it will guide you through the posting process, and email you a copy of the submission.
Directly Via Email
You can also email us your posting directly to: email@example.com. To process the posting, we need the following information:
- A company name
- A contact name and their title
- The contact's telephone number, fax number, email address, and mailing address
- The job title
- The length of the work term
- The discipline(s) from which you wish to hire
- A list of job duties and qualifications you are seeking
- Project description
- Special requirements (funding, citizenship)
After we receive your job posting, it will be posted in our PlacePro Job Database where only Science Co-op students can view and apply to your posting. Approximately one week after you send us your posting, we'll email you the resumes, cover letters and transcripts of interested co-op students.
When Can I Post a Job?
Three times a year (September, January and May) the Co-op office invites employers to submit job descriptions for the Fall, Winter and Summer work terms.
|Job Start Date||Start Date for Job Posting Submissions|
|Fall||First work day of September||First Week of May|
|Winter||First work day of January||First Week of September|
|Summer||First work day of May||First Week of January|
Note: To maximize job application numbers, it's strongly recommended that employers submit job postings as soon as possible.
Step 2: Set up Interviews
Contact our office by phone or email providing the following interview details:
- List of students you wish to interview.
- The days and times you are available to do the interview (We require three business days of notice prior to the first interview).
- The location of the interview - we highly encourage employers to interview students on campus. Employers can also interview students at their office or lab location.
- If necessary, we're happy to assist you by coordinating telephone interviews, video conferencing interviews or interviews via webcam.
The Co-op office does the rest! We will arrange the interviews with the selected students and send you an interview confirmation schedule prior to your first interview.
Step 3: Make an Offer
After you have completed the interviews, send us your hiring preference via phone, email or fax. If you have interviewed students from other departments/schools, include a comprehensive list that includes all of the students from each institution.
As part of the Continuous Placement Process, offers will be made to students on a first-come first-served basis. A Co-op Coordinator will match employers and students according to the hiring preference available. The chosen student will have 24 hours to either accept or decline the job offer. If the student does not accept the offer, the Coordinator will contact the next student on the hiring preference list. This process will continue until the job offer is accepted.
The Co-op Coordinator will contact you to confirm the student's acceptance of your offer.
Step 4: Prepare an Offer Letter
Once the student accepts the job offer, you'll need to prepare an offer letter to make the placement official. Send the letter to the Co-op office via mail, email or fax. It should contain:
- Student's name
- Position offered
- Start and end date
- Supervisor's name
- Supervisor's contact number & email address
- Work address
- Regular office hours
- What time to show up on their first day
- Monthly salary
- Any other terms of employment that you deem necessary
- Confidentiality agreement if applicable
For our mailing address, please go to our contacts page.