Science Co-op For
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Students from the biochemistry co-op are based out of a very vibrant and active academic department with a strong reputation of delivering excellence in research and in teaching.
Our students' academic background covers many diverse aspects of biochemistry, as well as structural and molecular biology. They have also developed many lab based skills while being trained in many of UBC’s cutting-edge research facilities.
Entrance into the program is limited to those students who meet specific levels of academic and personal achievement. Our co-op students are available to you for a four- to 16-month work placement after completing their third academic year.
|Level||Number of Months Available||Academic Year Level|
|January||Seniors||4 or 8||4|
|4, 8, 12 or 16
||4, 8 or 12
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Solution/sample preparation
- Titration, extraction methods
- Organic synthesis
- Isolation/purification of organic and inorganic compounds
- pH meter, IR, UV/VIS spectrophotometers
- AAS, NMR, GC, HPLC
- Method development-validation
- Protein purification
- ELISA, PCR, cloning, gel electrophoresis
- Western blots, Southern transfers and DNA hybridization
- Protein assays, enzyme digests