Science Co-op For
Department site: www.phas.ubc.ca/~biophys/program/Pprograminfo.html
Work Term Schedule
|1||Study Term 1||Study Term 2||-|
|2||Study Term 3||Study Term 4||-|
|3||Study Term 5||Study Term 6||Work Term 1|
|4||Work Term 2||Work Term 3||Work Term 4|
|5||Study Term 7||Study Term 8||-|
The above schedule is highly recommended by the Co-op Program in order for students to complete their program within the shortest time frame. Alternate schedule is available in consultation with your Co-op Coordinator.
Sample Jobs and Companies
BC Cancer Agency
UBC (Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physics and Astronomy, Biochemistry)
The project entails the preparation of magnetic microspheres and the development of an analytical assay (very likely ELISA) for different growth factors, starting with VEGF. The title of the project is "Improving wound healing using a magnetic bandaid to deliver growth factor-releasing microspheres to diabetic ulcers".
Simulation, prototyping and development of a magnetic bandage. The project involves lots of magnetic field simulations using the software Opera 3D (Vectorfields ) and Origin. The simulations will be verified in a flow model.
- Have around B- average
- Be a full-time UBC student in good academic standing in mathematics, english and the sciences
- Highly encouraged to complete BIOC 301 in 3rd year
- Good communication skills, a responsible, mature attitude
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork and time management
- Demonstrated interest in their chosen field
- Be flexible and willing to accept a work placement outside the Lower Mainland