Check out the Career Services Events Calendar for current employer info sessions on campus.
Science Co-op For
Applying for Jobs
PlacePro is the online database which allows you to post resumes, browse and apply for jobs, and sign up for interviews.
- Jobs are posted daily in PlacePro.
- All jobs have a deadline date and are normally posted for three business days. You must submit your application portfolio from your PlacePro account by no later than 9:00 am on the date shown.
- You must have at least 50% of the skills required in order to apply.
- You must write a cover letter for EVERY job you're applying for unless otherwise stated.
- The maximum length of a cover letter is one page.
- All application packages must be assembled in the following order:
- Job Application Summary Page
- Any special forms specific to employer
- Cover letter
Once you've applied for a job, check your e-mail regularly. If you are selected for an interview, the Co-op office will e-mail you with instructions to sign up in PlacePro for your interview and to view details (location, interviewer, etc.) pertaining to the interview. It is important that you attend to this right away in order to get the best selection of interview times (and to enable us to confirm your interview time with the employer).
You can see which employers have already responded and selected candidates for interviews on the Job Listings page in PlacePro. Note: If you applied for a job and are selected for an interview, your Interview page in PlacePro will clearly state both Invited (under the Invitation heading) and Sign Up (under the Scheduled heading). If you are not selected for an interview, it will simply state Not Invited.
Attending the Interview
- You must attend all interviews that you have been selected for. Please inform the person who sent you the interview invitation email immediately if you cannot attend an interview. You will only be granted an exemption if you have a midterm or a lab.
- Take a copy of your resume, transcript and a list of your references to the interview. If you prefer, you may take samples of your work or a copy of a work term report.
- Arrive at the interview location 15 minutes prior to your interview.
- Remain in the waiting area outside the interview room until the employer calls you.
- Dress professionally.
- Be prepared; compile a list of questions to ask the employer.
- Bring a notepad and pen in case you need to take notes during the interview process.
- All co-op jobs must be accepted or declined through your Co-op Coordinator.
- After you have accepted a job, your employer may send a formal offer letter to the Co-op office. You will need to pick up the letter from the office and sign your acceptance. If you receive an offer letter directly from the employer, please bring a copy of the letter to the Co-op office.
- If your offer letter contains a confidentiality agreement and you have questions about it, please see your Coordinator for an explanation and to have your signature witnessed.
- Fulfill any other employment requirements, for example: completion of a medical exam, purchase of protective clothing, etc. according to the letter of offer.
- Mail or fax your signed offer letter or confirmation of placement to your employer. The Co-op office will be happy to help you with this.