Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Your work experience will take the form of four consecutive four-month work placements at a variety of different organizations in Canada and potentially internationally. You will begin your internship after completing your third academic year. You must complete all four work terms in order to receive a co-op designation on your transcript.
Department site: www.biochem.ubc.ca
Work Term Schedule
|1||Study Term 1||Study Term 2||-|
|2||Study Term 3||Study Term 4||-|
|3||Study Term 5||Study Term 6||Work Term 1|
|4||Work Term 2||Work Term 3||Work Term 4|
|5||Study Term 7||Study Term 8||-|
This highly recommended schedule enables students to complete their program within the shortest time frame. Alternate scheduling is available in consultation with your coordinator.
Sample Jobs and Companies
Research Assistant - Jack Bell Research Centre at Vancouver General Hospital
- Validation of DNA microarray data by quantitative RT-PCR and western blotting or flow cytometry. Exploration of the functional relevance of the proteins of interest.
- Screen for proteins which interact with a transcription factor which may be involved in the control of the development and/or function of Tr cells. Determine the necessity of a transcription factor for the function of Tr cells using siRNA, following validation of interactions in mammalian cells.
Analytical Chemistry Co-op Student - Angiotech Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Assist with full characterization of the products in developement. Devices to be assessed include films, wraps and other devices combined with pharmacological agents in conjunction with the drug review group. The analytical techniques used will include chromatographic techniques to evaluate drug content, drug release and polymeric size distribution as well as thermal analysis (DSC), NMR and titrimetry.
- Assist with drug release studies to characterize the rate and extent of drug released from devices in an in vitro setting. The methods involve sample handling and extraction techniques as well as chromatographic quantitation of the drugs of interest.
- Participate in full characterizaiton of the product including HPLC and SPE method development.
If you wish to apply to the Biochemistry Co-op, you must be a third-year student enrolled in the Biochemistry Major or Honours program at UBC.
- Have around B- average
- Be a full-time UBC student in good academic standing in mathematics, english and the sciences
- Good communication skills, a responsible, mature attitude
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork and time management
- Demonstrated interest in their chosen field
- Be flexible and willing to accept a work placement outside the Lower Mainland