Science Co-op For
Program site: www.eos.ubc.ca/atsc
Work Term Schedule
|1||Study Term 1||Study Term 2||-|
|2||Study Term 3||Study Term 4||-|
|3||Study Term 5||Work Term 1||Work Term 2|
|4||Study Term 6||Study Term 7||Work Term 3|
|5||WorkTerm 4||Study Term 8||-|
The above schedule is highly recommended by the Co-op Program in order for students to complete their program within the shortest time frame. Alternate schedule is available in consultation with your Co-op Coordinator.
Sample Jobs and Companies
UBC Departments (Earth and Ocean Sciences, Geography)
Photosat Information Ltd.
SJ Geophysics Ltd.
Following are some of the projects that our Co-op students are currently working on.
- Assisting with preparation for meteorological support to the 2010 Olympics developing prototype internal web page for viewing, interrogation and assessment of weather data from the Olympic Autostation Network assisting in the conduct of weather event case studies for the Sea-to-Sky and outdoor Olympic venues
- Assisting with implementing several current and wave models, writing scripts to manage model runs and data streams running system tests writing user documentation
- Web interface development work. Gathering data from various sources for display. Results must conform to approved 'look and feel' for a national EC website
- Performance measurement and program design. Assisting with forecast program design and analysis, provide support for performance measurement (acquiring synoptic event data for verification), climate data analysis including plotting in Excel Assist with atmospheric pollutant data analysis
- Have around B- average
- Be a full-time UBC student in good academic standing in mathematics, english and the sciences
- Good communication skills, a responsible, mature attitude
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork and time management
- Demonstrated interest in their chosen field
- Be flexible and willing to accept a work placement outside the Lower Mainland