Cellular and Physiological Sciences
Students from the Cellular and Physiological Sciences co-op program are based out of a very vibrant and active academic department with a strong reputation of delivering excellence in research and in teaching.
Students admitted to the Honours Cellular and Physiological Sciences program meet highly demanding standards of academic achievement and pursue an academic program that is unique in its breadth and depth in training physiologists. In addition, our students' academic background covers core courses in biochemistry, microbiology, biometrics, genetics, pharmacology and anatomy. Our students develop many lab based skills while being trained at UBC’s cutting-edge research facilities.
Our co-op students are available to you for a four- to 16-month work placement after completing their third academic year.
|Level||Number of Months Available||Academic Year Level|
|January||Seniors||4 or 8||4|
|4, 8, 12 or 16
||4, 8 or 12
- In vivo surgical techniques in rodents; monitoring of blood pressure, heart rate and minute ventilation and various routes of drug administration.
- Three lead ECG measurement in humans
- Basic techniques in serology and hematology (RBC & WBC count, differential WBC count, Hct determination, ABO & Rh blood grouping)
- Measurement of conduction velocity in human motor nerve.
- Basic exercise testing and measurement of minute ventilation, oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production in humans
- Measurement of human urinary output, urine osmolarity, osmolar and solute free renal clearance in humans
- Dose-response measurements and analysis
- Use of transducers, oscilloscope and polygraph recorders
- Familiarity with data acquisition programs, data collection and statistical analysis
- Referencing of scientific information
- Additional Laboratory Skills in Biochemistry DNA/Protein Analysis such as PCR, Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, DNA Sequencing & BLAST analysis and more
- Bacterial Growth measurement using radiolabel
- Size exclusion chromatography