Science Co-op For
Pharmacology Co-op students are honour students that come from a program that is one of the most elite programs at UBC and is also one of the most highly recognized programs of its kind in Canada. Entrance into the program demands a very high level of academic and personal achievement
The emphasis of the students’ academic background has been on the experimental and laboratory aspects of pharmacology. Students have taken core courses in biochemistry, genetics, human physiology, and pharmacology and have developed a wide array of laboratory based skills within UBC’s cutting edge research facilities.
Our Pharmacology Co-op students are available to you for a 4 – 16 month work placement after completing their third academic year.
Students in the Program follow an internship schedule (16 months) starting
in the May semester.
|Level||Number of Months Available||Academic Year Level|
|January||Seniors||4 or 8||4|
|May||Juniors and Seniors||4, 8, 12 or 16||3 or 4|
|September||Seniors||4, 8 or 12||4|
- In Vitro / In Vitro techniques
- Various routes of drug administration
- Screening of analgesics
- Dose-response measurements and analysis
- Use of transducers and polygraph recorders
- Smear preparations, staining techniques
- Reagent and medium preparation
- Bacteriophage titration
- Analysis of biochemical tests
- Organic synthesis
- Chromatography; GC, UV, IR, TLC
- C,H-NMR mass spectroscopy
- Distillation techniques: simple, vacuum fractional, recrystallization