The Biotechnology Program is one of Canada’s most unique programs. Students gain cross discipline training through two years of learning laboratory skills at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) and through two years of learning scientific theory at the University of British Columbia (UBC).
This program was created to address the documented need for people who can combine technical experience and training with expertise in other areas such as:
- Intellectual property
Biotechnology Co-op students complete their first two Co-op work terms through BCIT. The students are available for their third and fourth work term as seniors through UBC Science Co-op.
Note-Junior students complete their workterms at BCIT.
|Level||Number of Months Available||Academic Year Level|
|January||Seniors||4 or 8||4
4 or 8
|2 or 3
|September||Seniors||4 or 8||4
- In Vitro / In Vitro techniques
- Various routes of drug administration
- Screening of analgesics
- Dose-response measurements and analysis
- Use of transducers and polygraph recorders
- Smear preparations, staining techniques
- Reagent and medium preparation
- Bacteriophage titration
- Analysis of biochemical tests
- Organic synthesis
- Chromatography; GC, UV, IR, TLC
- C,H-NMR mass spectroscopy
- Distillation techniques: simple, vacuum fractional, recrystallizationis